Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Chocolate Cake and Chocolate Covered Strawberries

Yesterday was a much better day than Sunday was for me. I know that my weight loss battle will be a long one but i'm ready for a new journey and a new direction in my life. I know that doing the BC 3 Day will also create big changes for me.

So I am the dessert diva and i feel that it's my duty to post tasty desserts that i create. This past weekend was my SIL (sis-n-law's) birthday. She is a huge red velvet cake fan, but her favorite cake that i make is a super moist Chocolate Cake with my original recipe of Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting. I decided to add Chocolate Covered Strawberries to the cake because... well they just go perfectly with chocolate cake.





I'm going to brag on myself for a minute. I may not be the best at everything in the baking world, but creating frostings and icings is my thing. I know that lots of blogs share recipes but since mine is a 2nd business adventure i'm not sure i'll be posting all my recipes.

I did recieve a recipe from a fellow caterer on how to make chocolate covered strawberries. Her ingredient that she adds is half & half or heavy cream. I have attempted to make these 3 times and well they are still a work in progress for sure. They look great on the front, but the bottoms look awful and fall apart. I'll keep working on this and hopefully it will come out perfect soon. (I'm a bit of a perfectionist for sure) Here's the recipe and instructions. Let me know if you've tried these and how they worked out for you. Or any other tips i could try.

Chocolate Covered Strawberries

large strawberries (washed and dried)
1 bag chocolate chips
3 TBSP half and half or heavy cream

Melt the chocolate chips in a pyrex measure all and add the half & half/cream. Mix until smooth. Put toothpicks into the strawberries and dip them in chocolate. Place them on wax paper or take the strawberries and place the toothpick into styrofoam and refrigerate at least 1 hour for them to set up. Then remove toothpick and place on wax paper. Drizzle white chocolate over strawberries at this point.

Another option is to add sprinkles to the strawberries for some additional color. If you do this method add sprinkles while the chocolate is still wet.



Here is how mine turned out. They look fine, but when we picked them up the bottoms fell off. I'll keep working on it and let you know how they turn out.

Thanks for joining me on my fabulous life as the Dessert Diva!

No comments:

Post a Comment